Natural light photographer, I thrive on these fleeting moments where the love, joy, or soul shows. My artistic background is always showing through my photography work. You will get the more formal portraits, they are after all, what we are looking for at first . But beyond that, candid moments, soulful mood, unexpected places is also what I want to bring out... I hope you'll like my photographic vision...
Sincerely,
Isabelle ♥

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Macro Photography

I am an up, close and personal kind of girl. I can't tell you why, but I got really frustrated, before doing macro photography, because I could never get close enough! I don't have an eye for landscapes, though somedays I wish I had! I have a natural attraction for macro photography.

Here are some beginners tips for macro photography.


I started doing macro with the macro settings on my camera, it was nice and the details and images were clear. It may be okay for the occasional macro lover. But, it was not enough for me...


Taken with the camera's macro setting



So with a limited budget at the time, I started using macro filters, a set of 4, (x1, x2, x4, x10) for under 20$usd. It worked quite fine, you can add one on top of the other and get more magnification, but remember you will lose in light and in depth by doing so. You will need some practice to work with filters, because, like a magnifier, you will have to move back and forth with your lens to get a good focus, and you definitely want to work with manual focus. You also have to be closer to your subjects, so with bugs, it may be challenging. Here are photos taken with these filters, I was really pleased with the results, they were great for their price! I used them for as long as I waited for a real macro lens, and I can say I still love the photos I took with them. People could not believe they were taken with filters!




Taken with macro filters, and believe me, the first one is a fruit fly, and it's really really small...



Now that I own a real macro lens, I am really thrilled with the results! I use the Canon 100mm f/2.8 and LOVE it! The light is way better than with the filters, But, it's a heavy lens (a big one has benefits, like one of my

friends
would say!) so if you want perfect sharp focus, a tripod is necessary. When you have the time to set it up, it's really worth it. Hand-held macros are more tricky, unless you have really steady hands. But sometimes it's more handy that way, and to tell you the truth, I like to be free to move around (yeah, I know, I like it really close, but then I need a lot of space, I'm complicated like that!) so I don't use my tripod as much as I should... As opposed to the filters, you can be at a certain distance from your subject, and you can choose to have a really close focus or not with the same lens, while with filters you would have to add/remove one each time you want to change your focus.
So, I don't deny my filters days, but the macro lens is really my favorite weapon!



Both were taken with the Canon 100mm f/2,8



7 comments:

Abby Lanes March 29, 2009 at 4:11 p.m.  

These are gorgeous Isabelle, and thanks for the filter tips. My 90 Tamoron Macro is great too. Your work and blog are amazing!

Natalie Franke March 29, 2009 at 6:28 p.m.  

Your photography always leaves me speechless! Gorgeous images! =)

Sylvia Cook Photography March 29, 2009 at 10:46 p.m.  

I first started getting back into photography on a more regular basis because of macro work. I love it when I take a photo of something, and after uploading to the computer I spot something that wasn't visible to my naked eye! Beautiful work Isabelle!

~*Patti*~ March 30, 2009 at 6:34 a.m.  

Thanks for the macro tips Isabelle! I might be able to squeeze a bit more from my lenses that way. Love these pictures...sigh...

Pierre Contant March 30, 2009 at 8:02 a.m.  

ROLF!!!!! Merci Isabelle for making my day! I’m still laughing…..

Thank you so much for sharing your Macro tips. As you know, I’m not a macro guy but would like to explore this uncharted world (for me). Your incredible work on flickr has undoubtedly kept my interest on macro photography on top of my wish list. And now that you have shared some of your experiences may force me to spend a few bucks on filters and start there.

Thanks again,

Your good friend Pierre,

Derrick Tay March 31, 2009 at 10:15 a.m.  

yes, your macro work in flowers, water droplets are the best I ever seen!

Rhythm April 2, 2009 at 12:08 a.m.  

Stunning work!! beautiful photography!

Followers

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sylvia Cook Photography button Chasing dreams photography I get the cutest scrapbooking fonts at Free Scrapbook Fonts!kevinandamanda.com/fonts
IMPORTANT! © COPYRIGHT Isabelle Lafrance The work contained on this blog is copyrighted©Isabelle Lafrance All rights reserved. My work may not be reproduced, copied, edited, published, transmitted or uploaded in any way without my written permission.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP