Natural light photographer, I thrive on these fleeting moments where the love, joy, or soul shows. My artistic background is always showing through my photography work. You will get the more formal portraits, they are after all, what we are looking for at first . But beyond that, candid moments, soulful mood, unexpected places is also what I want to bring out... I hope you'll like my photographic vision...
Sincerely,
Isabelle ♥

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

In black and white...


I find Photoshop's automatic black and white conversions so dull...
I think it's worth the two minutes you will take to get a custom black and white conversion that will suit your style. The automatic ones, will have too much grey for my taste, they are too conventionally formatted to please the majority of users. I like the black, really black, and to achieve it, simple steps, that will take you no more than two minutes, are needed.


First, I desaturate, it will give you almost the same b&w range than the automated conversion. Then, you just adjust the curves to your liking, having the black darker, the white, whiter (it softens the image) and the whole picture will get a more intense, dramatic conversion. You can save your custom curve too, if you have a batch of pictures with the same lighting conditions to edit, it will be faster to process! You can also use some b&w actions, some are really amazing, and it's a fast way to get your b&w conversion, lighting and contrast adjusted in a click. But, doing your own custom conversion, is really easy too, and, you have more control over your editing.



4 comments:

Derrick Tay April 8, 2009 at 9:30 a.m.  

thanks for the tips, again, how i wish i know how to use photoshop like you! B&W picture are my all time favourite!

BTW, i love the second pic, the lines, wow! you didnt post it in flickr right? I love to fave it! and i hope to do something like this too someday!

Sylvia Cook Photography April 8, 2009 at 11:05 a.m.  

I'm beginning to really love B&W too Isabelle. I agree with you about popping the contrast. Sounds like you're really becoming a PS pro!

Pierre Contant April 8, 2009 at 6:28 p.m.  

Thanks for sharing Isabelle! I use the B&W adjustment and then play with each color adjustment to darken or lighten the various areas of the image. I usually adjust the curve afterwards also.

Pierre

Abby Lanes April 11, 2009 at 8:16 a.m.  

Isabelle,
Before digital, back in the olden days of film, I loved black and white images more than color. These are just so stunning, and the conversion is wonderful. Well done.
~Abby

Followers

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sylvia Cook Photography button Chasing dreams photography I get the cutest scrapbooking fonts at Free Scrapbook Fonts!kevinandamanda.com/fonts
IMPORTANT! © COPYRIGHT Isabelle Lafrance The work contained on this blog is copyrighted©Isabelle Lafrance All rights reserved. My work may not be reproduced, copied, edited, published, transmitted or uploaded in any way without my written permission.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP